Cercul Militar Bucuresti

Standing guard, imposingly, at the head of B-dul Kogalniceanu, the The National Military House, known to all as Military Circle, was built in  1912 on the site of the former Sarindar Monastery (the name of which is preserved in the name of the fountain directly in front of the  building). This neo-classic masterpiece, designed by Romanian architect Dimitrie Maimaroiu, was built to host the social, cultural and educational needs of the Romanian army. Banquets and regimental balls are still hosted in the main function rooms, while upstairs are the  army's library, offices and classrooms for officer instruction. The main part of the building is out of bounds to civilians, but the lovely terrace is open to all.